The main purpose of this position is to run a new kitchen outlet at a Historic Site in the heart of Stellenbosch. We require a Senior CDP that is creative, able to produce new menu items based on a Mediterranean and Rustic Contemporary, Farm-to-table style without supervision.
He/she will also be required to assist in any other of the company’s food premises / outlets from time to time.
- Create and develop new dishes and menus based on the agreed food style and standard.
- Preparing, cooking and presenting these dishes.
- Assist in training, supervising and developing kitchen staff.
- Coordinate and participate in the activities of chefs and other kitchen personnel engaged in preparing and cooking foods to ensure efficient and profitable food service.
- Assist in maintaining inventory, estimate food consumption, and purchase food and non-food items necessary for the kitchen operation.
- Good Health and Safety practice and ensures that work practices are efficient, clean and hygienic.
- Monitoring portion and waste control to maintain profit margins.
- Ensure that all equipment being used is washed and cleaned after use and looked after.
- Monthly Food Stock and Operational stock control and reporting thereof.
- Correct maintenance and storage of operational equipment.
- Ensures authorised access control of stores, refrigerators and freezers in the Restaurant and ensures that these are always clean and tidy.
- Must be able to create and produce top end events menus from time to time.
- Performs order placing based on agreed stock levels and requirements.
- Engaged in preparing and cooking foods in a part or parts of the company’s other kitchen outlets.
- Ensures that all mise-en-place is completed prior to food service and up to required standard
- Ensures that work practices are efficient, accurate and honest.
- Ensures that stores, refrigerators and freezers in the department are always clean and tidy.
Ability to read, analyse and interpret general business publications, manuals or procedures.
Able to communicate on all levels in an efficient manner.
Job Skills & Requirements
- Creativity: Knowledge of ingredients and how to use them in a creative way
- Leadership Skills: Assist in managing the kitchen and assigning tasks, motivate colleagues in a high stress environment, good leader
- Hands-Eye Co-ordinations: Great knife and prep skills
- Developed sense of Taste and Smell
- Time Management Skills: Must be time and task driven
- A cool head and focussed
- Organisational flair
- a Grasp of profit margins
- Working knowledge of various computer software programs including, but not limited to Word-processing, spreadsheets and email.
- Leadership / supervisory experience required
- Focused, Driven, Deadline driven, Serious about growth, professional
- Able to work flexible hours, weekends and holidays
- Matric (Grade 12)
- Tertiary Chef’s Qualification
- 2 years Restaurant kitchen experience as a qualified Chef
- Food preparation & supervision of junior members of the kitchen brigade
R10 000 per month (based on experience)